Red-and-green, Blue and Yellow, Red-bellied and Hyacinth Macaws, Amazonian Motmot, Yellow-faced Parrot, Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, Helmeted Manakin, Chestnut-capped Foliage-gleaner, Rufous-tailed Jacamar, Bare-faced Curassow, Chaco and White-eared Puffbird, Blackish Rail, Least Grebe, Blaze-winged Parakeets, Flavescent Warbler, Golden-crowned Warbler, Red-legged Seriema,Cliff Flycatcher, Campo suiriri, Maguari Stork, Bare-faced Ibis, Chesnut-capped Blackbird, Scarlet Blackbird, White-tailed Hawk, Black-collared Hawks,Blue-crowned Trogon, Pygmy Kingfisher, Green-and-Rufous Kingfisher, Sungrebe,Red-rumped Caciques, Orange-backed Troupial, Striped Owl, Yellow-chinned Spinetail, Cinereous-breasted Spinetail, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Rufescent Tiger Heron, Striated Heron, Boat-billed Heron, Blue-throated Piping-guan, Chesnut-eared Aracaris, Toco Toucan and the elusive White-banded Manakin, Russet-mantled Foliage-gleaner, Mato Grosso Antbird, Black-throated Saltator, White-banded and White-rumped Tanager, Yellow-collared Macaw, Pale-crested Woodpecker, Nanday Parakeet, Little Cuckoo, Burrowing Owl, white Monjita, Peach-fronted Parakeet,Blue-crowned Parrot, Vermillion Flycatcher, Brazilian Teal, Blaze-winged Parakeet and White-fronted Woodpecker, Narrow-billed, Planalto and Great-rufous Woodcreeper, Plumbeous Seedeater, Chestnut, Capped, Tawny Bellied and Rufous-rumped Seedeater, Large-billed Antwren, Planalto-SlatyAntshrike, Plain Antvireo, Helmeted Manakin, Southern Antpipit, Fork-tailed Palm Swifts, Sulphury Flycatcher and Yellow-faced Parrot.
Tamandua and Giant Anteaters, Capybaras, Hooded Cappuchin Monkeys and Howler Monkeys,Marsh and Pampas Deer, Tapir, Ocelots, Jaguar.
Day 1 - Pedro Juan Caballero (city on the border of Paraguay and Brazil) to Bonito - MS
Early in the morning, we will leave Pedro Juan Caballero to Bonito. Before we reach Bonito, we will have lunch at a ranch near our first observation stop. After lunch, we will visit this marvelous place: Buraco das Araras (Red-and-Green Macaw´s Sinkhole) considered the second largest dolina in the world. In the area beside the 40 Red-and-green Macaws pairs that live and nest in the cliffs of the dolina, we can enjoy many birds species such as: Amazonian Motmot, Yellow-faced Parrot, Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, so on. Going on to Bonito (Hotel Cabanas), depending on our schedule, we may do some stops on the way to search for Giant Anteaters and Cerrado birds.
Day 2 - Bonito to Pantanal - MS
After an early breakfast, we will take some paths of the forests of the Formoso River, which could allow us some specialties and very interesting species such as the Helmeted Manakin, Chestnut-capped Foliage-gleaner, Rufous-tailed Jacamar, Amazonian Motmot, Bare-faced Curassow and many others. We will have lunch in the beautiful city of Bonito and then we will visit a beautiful area in the middle of the Bodoquena Mountains. There we will have chances to sight: Chaco Puffbird, Blackish Rail, Least Grebe, Blaze-winged Parakeets, Flavescent Warbler, Golden-crowned Warbler, Seriemas and so on. We will also have a chance to spot our first Caimans species: the Broad-nosed Caiman. After lunch, we will have a 2.5-hour drive to our first lodge in Pantanal. On the way, we may stop to look for more Cerrado birds: Campo suiriri, Chaco Puffbird, and White-eared Puffbird. Arriving in the afternoon at the lodge. Dinner at the lodge.
Day 3 - Pantanal - MS
Early in the morning, we will take a safari truck around the farm to search for Pantanal bird species such as: Maguari Stork, Bare-faced Ibis, Chestnut-capped Blackbird, Scarlet Blackbird, White-tailed Hawk, so on. In the afternoon, we will take a boat ride along the São Domingos River; a river that harbors amazing wildlife. Our targets on this tour: Black-collared Hawks, Blue-crowned Trogon, Pygmy Kingfisher, Green-and-Rufous Kingfisher, Sungrebe, Red-rumped Caciques, Orange-backed Troupial. Caimans and Capybaras along the shore and Hooded Capuchin Monkeys and Howler Monkeys as well. After Dinner, we will take a nightdrive. On the tour we will take a ride around the farm and look for nocturnal birds such as: Nightjar, Nighthawks and Owls. The highlight should be the Striped Owl. In addition, mammals are possible to sight on this tour like: Capybaras, Marsh Deer, Tapir, Ocelots, and with a bit of luck, the great Jaguar!.
Day 4 - Pantanal - MS
Breakfast and birding an then we will take a short truck ride to reach the boardwalk. It is a trail above the marshland that provides us with great chances for: Yellow-chinned Spinetail, Cinereous-breasted Spinetail, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Rufescent Tiger Heron, Striated Heron, Boat-billed Heron, besides many parakeets and parrots flying around. After Lunch, we will leave to our next lodge. It will take about 2.5 hours. This second area is close to the eastern border of Pantanal and slightly elevated, providing us with amazing chances for different fauna such as: Hyacinth Macaws, Giant Anteaters, Pampas Deer and more Cerrado endemic bird species. Arriving at the lodge at the end of the day.
Day 5 - Pantanal - MS
Early breakfast with many birds around. This morning we will take a boat ride along the Aquidauana river. On the way, we can see the pristine landscape and great birds. Our main targets are: Blue-throated Piping-guan, Chestnut-eared Aracaris, Toco Toucan, the elusive White-banded Manakin, Henna-capped Foliage-gleaner and Mato Grosso Antbird. Lunch and in the afternoon, another safari truck to look for a mix of Cerrado and Pantanal birds like: Black-throated Saltator, White-banded and White-rumped Tanager, Yellow-collared Macaw, Pale-crested Woodpecker, Nanday Parakeet, etc. Back to the lodge and dinner.
Day 6 – Pantanal - MS to Campo Grande MS
Breakfast and walking in the surrounding areas that are usually quite productive. We may see Burrowing Owl, White Monjita, Peach-fronted Parakeet, Blue-crowned Parrot, Vermillion Flycatcher, Brazilian Teal, Narrow-billed Woodcreeper, etc. Just after the walk, we will take the truck and visit an area that will improve our chances to sight one of the rarest birds in Brazil due its restricted distribution: the Blaze-winged Parakeet and White-fronted Woodpecker. We can see Planalto Woodcreeper, Ferruginous Pygmy Owl and Great-rufous Woodcreeper in this place too. After lunch, we will leave to Campo Grande, the last portion of Cerrado area that we will visit. The trip will take 3 hours and depending on our time schedule, we may visit a field area just before Campo Grande to search for endangered Seedeaters like: Plumbeous Seedeater, Chestnut Seedeater, Capped Seedeater, Tawny Bellied Seedeater and Rufous-rumped Seedeater, besides other birds. Check in at the hotel and dinner.
Day 7 – Campo Grande - MS
After breakfast, we will visit a special conservation area near downtown. It is an area that holds a mosaic of Cerrado habitats and the highlights of the tall forest – “Cerradão”, could be: Large-billed Antwren, Planalto-Slaty Antshrike, Plain Antvireo, Helmeted Manakin, Southern Antpipit and Henna-capped Foliage-gleaner. Back to the hotel and lunch and in the afternoon, we will visit a swamp area known as “Buritizal”, a road that crosses an area rich with Mauritia palm trees in the Cerrado. We expect to see the following highlights: Blue and Yellow Macaw, Hybrids Macaws (Blue and Yellow X Red and Green), Fork-tailed Palm Swifts, Red-bellied Macaws, Sulphury Flycatcher and Yellow-faced Parrot. Back to the hotel and dinner.
Day 8 - Campo Grande - MS
After breakfast, depending on flight schedules, we can go birding in the surround areas and/or take the guests straight to the airport (15 minutes ride). End of your tour.
* This tour can also be started in Campo Grande MS and then continue with the tour extensions in Paraguay and the Region.
If you are interested in the tour and want more details, write to our e-mail and we will gladly help you build your ideal tour. Do not forget that all our tours are ready to be adapted to your needs (Examples: more or less tour days, special species that you want to observe, emphasis on the group of animals or plants (Bromelias and Orquids) of your preference, add cultural and / or anthropological content, type of lodgings, level of meals, etc.).
This tour fee includes*:
- All meals from lunch on second day to breakfast on the penultimate day of the program (depend the tour you are choice);
- Bottled drinking water;
- All lodgings, from the second night of second day until the penultimate night of the tour mentioned in the program;
- Ground transportation;
- Reserve entrance fees; and
- All guiding services (no including tips for local guides and services).
The tour fee does not include:
- Visa fees;
- ANY flights (see above);
- Passenger insurance We recommend taking passenger insurance for trips to Paraguay and the region;
- Any alcohol drinks;
- Special gratuities; and
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature. And other items not mentioned as expressly included.
*: Likewise all services included and not included will be clearly stipulated in our travel agreement according to the characteristics of the tour and your needs.
To see more details of terms and conditions of our tours click here.
- Applicable for group tours: Rates are based upon group rates; if the tour does not have sufficient registration (a minimum of 4 or 6 paying participants, depend of the tour) a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances (weather: rainfall, closure of routes and others); please be aware that we will try to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we can not provide you with a rooming partner for these nights, although you choose to share, the single supplement will be applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you wish to share.
In several of the lodges that we use, it is possible that we do not have the possibility of locating them in single rooms, so we could give them the possibility of having to share the room, we think it is important to warn you about this limitation of some places.
As noted above, tips (drivers, hotel staff, porters and restaurants) are not included in this tour. It also does not include the tip to your leader/s or guide. If, therefore, you feel that you have been given an excellent service,it is totally appropriate to give them a tip.
- This tour involves very little arduous walking. We will however spend large amounts of time-bound while traversing the vast plains of Paraguay. If you have any physical limitations or medical conditions of any kind please let us know in advance of the tour.
- We will be birding in some remote areas well away from modern medical facilities. We recommend contracting passenger insurance.
- The hotels fluctuate from a very good standard to remove basic in more remote locations.
- Transport is by small coach or minibus, and 4x4 vehicles where required. Road conditions fluctuate from good to poor. Some areas are prone to flooding, and may interfere with our trip, although we have minimized this risk by undertaking the tour during the driest part of the season.
- Between September and March we expect the weather to be sunny and very hot in most areas. Broad hats, sunscreen and sunglasses will certainly be required. The rainy season used to be from the end of November to March, but due to the climate change, the forecasts are unpredictable and very variable, as in the whole world, we recommend to have an equipped for rain (Layers and Rain Boots, in addition to bags hermetics for your electronic equipment). A light coat is always recommended.
- Please let us know if you have any disease or physical limitation (which we should take into account), allergy, food limitation or requires special diets so that we are prepared to serve you in the best way.
Arrival & Departure Details
This tour does not include ANY airfares. Normally the tour will depart from Posadas on day 1 (depending of the tour), you are expected to be in the country before the tour begins (day 1 of the program). Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. IF you have not taken one of our extensions, Depending on the time of your flight, the tour will conclude in the Iguazu Airport on the last day mentioned in your program. If you wish to arrive early and / or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact us and we will coordinate it with pleasure.
We have excellent tour extensions, depending where you started or finish the tour. Please consult.
This tour can be connected from Paraguay or it can also be started at the Campo Grande MS Airport and then continue with the tour extensions in Paraguay and the Region (please arrive one day before or in the morning of the first day) or at your Hotel in the same city.
We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. IMPORTANT for scheduled group departures: please DO NOT book your international flights until you have consulted the Tour Operator office for confirmation on the status of the tour.