The Amazing Humid Chaco, Birds and Wildlife.
PBNPY8_Half, full or 2 days tours
Leaving Asuncion and crossing the bridge over the Paraguay River, we are already in the Humid Chaco in a distance of less than 50 kilometers. We will visit a livestock ranch that has the status of IBA (Important Bird Area) and that offers us the incredible opportunity in just a few hours to add up to 130 different species of birds and to meet wonderful mammals and fantastic reptiles. Many of these birds are endemic to the Chaco and some are in danger of extinction. Below are some of the very interesting species of birds that we could observe in this outing: Greater Rhea, Red-legged Seriema, Chaco Chachalaca, Plumbeous and Buff-necked Ibis, Giant Wood-Rail, Blue-crowned Trogon, Toco Toucan, White-barred Piculet, Filed Flicker, Green-barred,Golden-green, Little, Crimson-crested and Cream-backed Woodpeckers, Laughing Falcon, Nanday, Turquoise-fronted and Scaly_headed Parrot, Maroon-bellied and Blue-crowned Parakeet, Great-Rufous and Planalto Woodcreeper, Red-billed Scythebill, Strange-tailed and Sharp-tailed Tyrant, Tawny-crowned Pygmy-Tyrant, Bearded Tachuri, White-bellied, Tawny- bellied and Rusty-collared Seedeater, Black-capped Warbling Finch, Masked Gnatcatcher, White-lined Tanager, Saffron-billed Sparrow, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Yellow-rumped Marshbird, Golden-winged Cacique, Crested Oropendola and many others. The biodiversity of the Humid Chaco is truly amazing!
- Length: Half, full or 2-day tours (We have some options to stay in Ranch lodgings that you can spend the night if you wish; they are basic but comfortable lodgings to stay one more day, request and we will gladly give you the option).
- Species on the trip: 380 Number of bird species expected: 80 – 150
- Tour Pace & Walking: To get to this site, we have about 1.5 hours in a car. We will walk on relatively flat trails with few obstacles, it is possible to find muddy and humid areas.
- Focus: Bird and wildlife observation. Walk in wonderful landscapes.
- Recommended season: All year.
- Suggested extensions: If you take the half-day option, you can combine it with the half-day tour of the Jardin Botanico (5 km from Asunción), or the half-day tour of the Bay of Asuncion or the half-day tour of Arroyos y Esteros (100 km from Asunción). Depending on the number of additional days you have and the species of your interest, we suggest that you observe our list of Paraguay and regional tours that are easy to connect.