The Fascinating Birds of Asuncion, the Capital of Paraguay.
PBNPY10_Half or Full-day tour.
The city of Asunción is not called the Green City of Latin America in vain. The capital of Paraguay is one of the capitals with the most species of birds in the world, to date close to 370 species have been counted! This is undoubtedly due to the great amalgam of environments that intermingle in its surroundings and the beautiful Paraguay River that is known to be a great corridor of migratory birds. In Asunción, there are birds characteristic of the Humid Chaco and the Selva Central with much influence of the Atlantic Forest of Alto Parana, as well as many nearctic migrants (in summer), austral migrants (in winter) and intertropical migrants (preferably in summer).
With half-day and full-day options and traveling short distances, you will be surprised by the quantity and diversity of birds of this true capital paradise! Asunción offers us the incredible opportunity in just a few hours (depending on the site you choose and if you take the option of half a day or full day) to add between 50 and 100 different species of birds. Below are some of the very interesting species of birds that we could observe on this tour: Purple Gallinule, Giant Wood-Rail, Black Skimmer, Large and Yellow-billed Tern, Snail Kite, Burrowing Owl, Blue-crowned Trogon, Ringed, Amazon and Green Kingfisher, White-barred Piculet, Checkered, Field Flicker, Green-barred, Golden-green, Little, Pale and Crimson-crested Woodpeckers, Nanday, Turquoise-fronted and Scaly-headed Parrot, Blue-winged Parrotlet, Monk, Yellow-chevroned, White-eyed and Blue -crowned Parakeet, Narrow-billed, Great-Rufous and Planalto Woodcreeper, Crested, Warbling and Dinelli's Doradito, White-bellied, Lined, Double-collared and Rusty-collared Seedeater, Black-capped Warbling Finch, Masked Gnatcatcher, Tropical Parula, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, Yellow-rumped Marshbird, Golden-winged Cacique, and many others. Be surprised by the great variety of birds of Asunción!
- Length: Half or full-day tour.
- Species in the trip: 370 Number of bird species expected: 50 – 100
- Tour Pace & Walking: Depending on your options and the distance to your hotel, to get to these sites, we have about 15 or 50 minutes in a car. Walk on relatively flat trails with few obstacles.
- Focus: Bird and wildlife observation.
- Recommended season: All year.
- Suggested extensions: If you take the half-day option, you can combine it with the half-day tour of the Arroyos y Esteros (100 km from Asunción) or half-day tour of Humid Chaco (50 km from Asunción). Depending on the number of additional days you have and the species of your interest, we suggest that you observe our list of Paraguay and regional tours that are easy to connect.
- Recommended sites in Asunción (Hotspots): Jardín Botánico, Parque Guasu, Costanera y Bahía de Asunción, Parque Solidaridad. To visit the 4 sites, you will need to take the full day tour. With half day tours, you can only choose 2 sites at the most.